🕵️‍♂️ Engage in discussions ANONYMOUSLY. NO REGISTRATION is required. 💬

✅ Registered accounts earn up to $25 per thread via PayPal and BTC. 🤑 Read more in News and Announcments! Unlock the ability to chat, share, send private messages and earn money per post in our community. Just register an account. It's Free!

SignUp Now!
  • 🕵️‍♂️ Engage in discussions ANONYMOUSLY. NO REGISTRATION is required. đź’¬ âś… Registered accounts earn up to $25 per thread via PayPal and BTC. 🤑 Read more... Unlock the ability to chat, share, send private messages and earn money per post in our community. Just register an account. It's Free!

PC vs Mac: Which to Choose for Video Creation, or Laptop?đź’»

Credits
I've read online that Mac may be a better alternative to PC for video editing? I've saved money and need to chose between MAC and a Ryzen PC. My budget is around $1800.

Here are the configurations I made:

> MAC Book Build for video editing

• Processor: Apple M1 chip
  • Graphics: Integrated 8-core GPU
  • RAM: 16GB Unified Memory
  • Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD
  • Monitor: 24" 4K Retina Display
  • Model: MacBook Pro 16-inch
  • Additional: Thunderbolt 4 support
> PC Build for video editing
  • Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Graphics Card: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT
  • RAM: 32GB DDR4 3600MHz
  • Monitor: 27" 4K IPS Display
  • Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-E
  • Power Supply: Corsair RM850x Gold
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler
  • Additional: Thunderbolt 3 support

The configuration is mainly going to be used for video editing. I am open for suggestions. I work with After Effects & DaVinci Resolve 18. I can't afford the latest MACs but these are the configurations I'm looking at as specs for 2023.

Credits
Considering your budget and video editing needs, I'd recommend going with the PC build. Laptops might limit screen space, affecting your workflow. I'd rather invest in a dual-monitor setup or a larger single screen for better productivity. While Macs can be pricey and have paid software, Windows PCs offer cost-effective options and flexibility. Note that I lack Mac experience and prefer Windows due to its value.

Credits
I've read online that Mac may be a better alternative to PC for video editing? I've saved money and need to chose between MAC and a Ryzen PC. My budget is around $1800.

Here are the configurations I made:

> MAC Book Build for video editing

• Processor: Apple M1 chip
  • Graphics: Integrated 8-core GPU
  • RAM: 16GB Unified Memory
  • Monitor: 24" 4K Retina Display
  • Model: MacBook Pro 16-inch
  • Additional: Thunderbolt 4 support
> PC Build for video editing
  • Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Graphics Card: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT
  • RAM: 32GB DDR4 3600MHz
  • Monitor: 27" 4K IPS Display
  • Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-E
  • Power Supply: Corsair RM850x Gold
  • Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler
  • Additional: Thunderbolt 3 support

The configuration is mainly going to be used for video editing. I am open for suggestions. I work with After Effects & DaVinci Resolve 18. I can't afford the latest MACs but these are the configurations I'm looking at as specs for 2023.
Antonis_32I'd lean toward a Mac. They offer strong software-hardware performance for creative work. For this budget I'd look into models with M2 processors, as they could bring more speed boosts to your workflow. If I'm not wrong I think that there are some performance optimizations for all Adobe software compared to Windows and PC.

Credits
Concerns with MACs and Laptops:
  • Frequent payments for hardware add-ons and non-universal components.
  • Hard to upgrade hardware in the future.
  • Locked into the MAC ecosystem for a significant period.
  • Certain limitations on usage.
Advantages of MACs:
  • Beautiful and accurate monitor colours.
  • M1 or M2 models offer significant performance improvements over Intel-based Macs.
  • Fast processing speeds software and hardware optimizations.
Additional Considerations:
  • What camera(s) are you using? Do you work with anything over 4k 10bit 4:2:2 resolution or higher for colour grading?
  • For non-Adobe users, explore 2 or 3 monitor setups for efficient A/B tests and colour comparison.

Credits
Thank you for the input! I'll be using one Sony a6300 and one Sony a7s iii. Normally it's a pain to combine the footage later but this is what I have at the moment. I record 4k 4:2:2 10 bit footage and have to find a way to merge it with the one from a6300 but that's a completely different topic.

Credits
I've experienced both Mac and Windows, and each platform comes with its own set of strengths and weaknesses.

• Windows serves as a reliable workhorse, offering budget-friendly hardware and extensive software options. This can be particularly beneficial for video editing as you can customize your setup to suit your needs. Keep in mind that some tweaking of settings might be needed to optimize your workflow.
  • Apple excels in boosting my productivity due to its refined, user-friendly interface. The integration between hardware and software can enhance video editing efficiency. While the cost is higher, the seamless integration is often worth the investment, especially if you prioritize a smoother creative process.

When it comes to video editing, consider factors such as the software you use, the types of projects you handle, and your personal preferences.

Credits
> Expensive vs. Cost-Effective:
  • Apple laptops are pricey.💻💰
  • Windows PC configurations offer provide better specs for the money.
> Performance & Display:
  • Both offer powerful specs(Exceptions are those with Intel CPUs).
  • Quality displays on both sides but MAC will always have an edge.
> Battery Life:
  • 🔋Macs usually have better battery life.
  • Over 5 hours is sufficient for most.
> Operating Systems:
  • Mac OS better for graphics.
  • Windows has more free software, gaming.
> User-Friendly:
  • Both are easy to navigate.
  • No significant difference in the learning curve in my opinion.
> Personal Preference:
  • If no other specific need for Mac then video editing, consider Windows.
  • Save money and put those in software, cameras and other stuff.
> Final Thoughts:
  • Windows offer flexibility.
  • Macs suit Apple ecosystem users.

Choose based on your needs!

Credits
What a well structured answer! Only mine here looks like shit.