🕵️‍♂️ Engage in discussions ANONYMOUSLY. NO REGISTRATION is required. 💬

✅ Registered accounts earn up to $25 per thread via PayPal and BTC. 🤑 Read more in News and Announcments! Unlock the ability to chat, share, send private messages and earn money per post in our community. Just register an account. It's Free!

SignUp Now!
  • 🕵️‍♂️ Engage in discussions ANONYMOUSLY. NO REGISTRATION is required. 💬 ✅ Registered accounts earn up to $25 per thread via PayPal and BTC. 🤑 Read more... Unlock the ability to chat, share, send private messages and earn money per post in our community. Just register an account. It's Free!

Does RAM speeds matter, and is it worth it to buy expensive RAM?

Credits
I read internal clock speed in RAM isn't all that matters, but rather the data transfer rate. Can the cheaper RAM kit still hold up if it transfers data fast, even with a lower clock? Corsair's 16GB DDR4-3200 kit is $60, and G.SKILL's 16GB DDR4-3600 kit is $80. Does that speed advantage in G.SKILL's kit translate to better everyday performance?

🤔Now, G.SKILL's kit boasts higher numbers, but I'm questioning if it's truly worth the extra bucks? Does RAM speed make a big difference in real-world use? Is the faster kit worth the splurge? Or is it just a fancy number? Thanks, y'all! 🙌

Credits
I read internal clock speed in RAM isn't all that matters, but rather the data transfer rate. Can the cheaper RAM kit still hold up if it transfers data fast, even with a lower clock? Corsair's 16GB DDR4-3200 kit is $60, and G.SKILL's 16GB DDR4-3600 kit is $80. Does that speed advantage in G.SKILL's kit translate to better everyday performance?

🤔Now, G.SKILL's kit boasts higher numbers, but I'm questioning if it's truly worth the extra bucks? Does RAM speed make a big difference in real-world use? Is the faster kit worth the splurge? Or is it just a fancy number? Thanks, y'all! 🙌
BigMambosXLRAM speeds matter! Faster RAM can improve overall system performance, especially in tasks that involve a lot of data movement. But whether it's worth buying expensive RAM depends on your use case.

Credits
Totally get where you're coming from. I'm eyeing G.SKILL's DDR4-3600 kit, but I'm not sure if the extra speed will make a noticeable difference in real-world scenarios. 😕

Credits
I've had a similar dilemma before. Faster RAM can provide a boost, but keep in mind that the difference in performance might not always be dramatic. It really depends on the applications you use and how much they benefit from high memory bandwidth. 🤔

• Great post
Reactions: w_G
Credits
Good point. I've heard mixed opinions. Some say you'll only notice the difference in synthetic benchmarks. :D

View previous replies…
Credits
@BigMambosXL I've noticed RAM speed impacting the latest games. Games with expansive worlds or intricate simulations can benefit from higher bandwidth. Scene loading is improved and I can feel reduced stutters.

Credits
@DumbNPC True, in titles like Microsoft Flight Simulator, where the scenery is streamed from storage to memory, faster RAM can prevent bottlenecks, enhancing realism and immersion. But, practical gains might vary based on your GPU and CPU.

Credits
It's not just about the speed! Timings also matter. They determine how quickly the RAM responds to requests. So, a combination of high speed and tight timings can be beneficial for both gaming and multitasking. 👍

Credits
I've found that in games that are CPU-intensive or use a lot of dynamic assets, faster RAM speeds can actually help improve frame rates. So, for gaming, might faster RAM be worth considering? 🎮

Credits
Keep in mind that higher RAM speeds could also mean you'd need a compatible motherboard. Not all systems can handle the fastest RAM.

Credits
True. Motherboard support matters a lot. And about the cost, it's good to compare the price difference with the actual performance gains you'd get in your specific use cases.

Credits
And let's not forget about the infinity fabric for Ryzen processors. Memory speed influences how quickly the cores within the processor communicate. So, faster RAM can lead to better overall CPU performance.

Keep in mind that peak data rates might not be sustained. Real-world usage involves reading and writing operations, affecting overall performance. Also, ensure your motherboard supports the chosen speed, as motherboard traces and layout play a role.

Credits
Thanks, folks! I'm seeing now that it's not just about the numbers on the box. It's about understanding how these components interact to deliver actual benefits. 🤯

Credits
God damn it... How come nobody asked what you need faster RAMs for because it really depends on whether you are a gamer or if you render a lot, or what exactly you do. Because, out of the context, I'd say spare your money and buy cheaper less expensive RAM. Even for the latest game headings, I'd still stick to cheaper RAM but if you are really into the game OK go and throw away some money into DDR5 RAM if you want with maximum MHz and tightest times. I think it's just money wasted at this point.

Credits
You're forgetting a scenario where performance improvements might not be evident immediately but become significant over time. Current proof shows faster RAM speeds are already enhancing gaming experiences. Moreover, most users don't upgrade RAM until their motherboard's lifespan ends or it fills up, causing performance issues due to disk swapping. While some games might not show the impact now, the right advice is to "opt for the highest quality RAM with the lowest timings within your budget. Even if it doesn't seem important now, it'll certainly matter in upcoming releases."

Credits
If those 1-10fps in games matter compared to the hundreds of $ difference you are either a professional gamer making money on Twitch, doing tournaments, or a Youtuber.